Offered Salary 1000
Experience 3 Years
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
About the Role:
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that’s cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
WSP have an opportunity for an experienced Principal Electrical Engineer, in our Manchester office. WSP are currently involved in numerous exciting and iconic projects in Manchester and the UK which will expose you to technical excellence and leading engineering technology in a cutting edge digital environment.
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to work on some of the most exciting and prestigious projects in the world, and benefit from our global experience in delivering new and innovative engineering solutions.
A typical week would include:
- Meeting the requirements of a Senior Engineer’ grade and have a proven track record in both leading projects for your discipline and for an overall project team. Be able to demonstrate where your personal input has led to the commission being won.
- Work in a senior capacity within a mechanical, electrical and public health (MEP) discipline team, providing design and technical advice with a multidisciplinary approach on a wide range of projects.
- Supervise the completion of detailed designs and supervise the work of others in this function.
- Consider the feasibility of the project specific to the discipline and lead the overall feasibility study for the project.
- Regularly brief the project team, explaining the appointment. Ensure contracts / letters of intent are in place for all projects before work begins. Make sure all team members have access to the agreed appointment documents.
- Review and input where required to the detailed design programme and ensure that sufficient resource is available to complete the works.
- Lead the completion and regular amendment to the project ‘Cost to Complete’ (CTC). Monitor the work of the project engineers and compare weekly against the previously agreed CTC. Flag up any potential ‘profit’ or ‘loss’ to your DTL when compared to the agreed fee.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Working towards Chartership via an Engineering Council accredited honours degree or specific experience.
- Degree in Building services Engineering or applicable discipline. Or relevant equivalent experience.
- Working towards IET Engineer or Chartered Building Services Engineer.
Key Technical Requirements
- Demonstrate good attention to detail and show pride in the work produced.
- Having an understanding of the European regulations applicable to the discipline and how to demonstrate this in project execution.
- Have working understanding of latest electrical design software packages to allow the allocation / direction of work on projects.
- Have understanding of working with Revit MEP or other 3D design software to allow the allocation / direction of work on projects.
- Have working knowledge of AutoCAD to allow the allocation / direction of work on projects.
- Low voltage distribution systems
- Low voltage standby generation
- UPS systems
- Cable calculations via Hevacomp or Amtech
- Cable calculations by hand
- Lighting calculations (via software and by hand)
- Small power
- Fire alarms
- Intruder detection
- Access control & security systems
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy – we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.